Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The secret Garden!!!

Well, not so secret, but I did feel like Mary Lennox as I walked around Alnwick gardens yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day, and the last day before Keira started school, so thought we would make the most of the weather.
This is the great cascade water feature, which is the main feature in the centre of the gardens.



Water features are everywhere, and they periodically have fountain episodes, to soak the kids I think LOL!!!!




At the top of the great cascade, is a large maze type garden, which is gorgoeus! Bet you need a good few gardeners to maintain it though!


After wandering round the gardens, and a quick trip to the gift shop for a squawking bird, we went to the tree house for lunch. I forgot my camera, so my sister took pictures, but we forgot to stop and take one of the tree house before we went in. To eager for food I think:-)

And poor Keira was STARVING LOL!!!!

Lunch was gorgoeus, if a little pricey. I'd like to go back for an evening meal in the treehouse, maybe at christmas time. The inside of the restaurant smells "woody", and they have a waist height pit fire,the whole place is just very atmospheric, and I bet it looks great when theres snow on the ground:-)
Before going home, we popped to Barter books, which is a massive secondhand bookshop. If you're organised, where I wasn't, you can take in books you no longer want and they have a lok through the ones thy would like, and you get credits to spend in there. SO theoretically, you could get a load of new books, trade in your old, and not spend a penny:-) I got a reference book about the kings and Queens of England, and The man in the moss by Phil Rickman following Seahorse's reccomendation of the author. I think I'll go up on my own another day so that I have more time to browse! Half an hour flew by so quickly!

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

That place looks great, especially for the kids. I love the water features!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Fabulous pics!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

What a wonderful place to spend the day :-) and what lovely photos.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Great pics - the gardens look lovely. The treehouse sounds wonderful.

4:16 PM  
Blogger gilraen said...

I love Alnick and Barter Books, 2 of my favourite places :)

She is a real cutey pie :) It looks like a fabulous day out.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home