Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Little Monkeys!!

I've just finished making myself a pair of Monkey socks in some Cherry tree hill yarn from my stash. This pair knitted up so much quicker than the pair I made for the monkey swap last year!!! There is a definate advantage to having size 3 feet:-) I love this pattern though, and its great for busy yarns too!

I like to have a pair of socks otn most of the time, but can't decide which pair to make next. I've been wanting to make a pair of Jaywalkers for ages, a good couple of years, but had a pair of zebra ones in mind. I've got the zebra yarn, and they were going to be my next pair of socks, but that jojoland quartette that I got for my birthday would look great for this pattern too, so now I can't decide:-( Plus, I've yet to start the socktopus club sock pattern from december, so I could cast on for those????
The Lovely Piglottie sent me a voucher for Socktopus for my birthday, so I chose this lovely Duet sock yarn!

It's so pretty, I'll have to have a think of which pattern to use it for to show it off to its full potential though!!!
I bought myself the Jane Brocket book before christmas, and have been reading it over the past week. Its a great book, full of amazing photography, and loads of crafty inspiration. Having seen her cupcakes, I decided I'd make myself some, I mean, it can't be that hard to bake and ice some fairy cakes can it:-) Actually, the cakes turned out really nice, very tastey! DH had one warm form the oven, but I told him to wait for another as I was going to ice them!

They look pretty good yes???? One major problem I had though............. I didn't realise how WRONG icing could go!!! Seriously, its not that easy to make icing is it? It said in the book to make thick icing, like a paste, yep, I get that. Cue adding water to bowl....anyone see whats coming here? I put what I thought was a small amount of water in the bowl and then added icing sugar to it, little did I realise that my small amount of water was epic in terms of icing *roll*. So, half a packet of icing sugar later, and my icing was still runny:-( But not to be deterred, I slopped it onto the buns regardless, added the hundreds and thousands, and assured myself that it would set ok. Sadly it was not! The icing just soaked though the buns, they did taste fine though, and they all got eaten, but definately learnt a valuable lesson in the art of cake icing:-)
As we're now into February, a quick update on my stashalong......... I haven't bought ANY yarn!!! None whatsoever:-) Its been relatively easy too, I've just hunted through what I have and planned what I'll make next rather than looking at new yarns and searching for a project to use them on!!!! DH says I've received as much yarn as I would have bought...........obviously many of my purchases were hidden prior to his return form work LOL!!! I'll leave him happy in that thought!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

Ah - less is more terri! They look good enough to eat from here though.

And what a lovely birthday you've had :-) beautiful yarn from Socktopus.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I've been wanting to knit Jaywalkers for a long time, too. Zebra ones would be great.

Size 3 Monkey Socks? What teeny-tiny feet! They are cute!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ah icing - I always think I'm adding the tiniest drop of water :o) Yummy athough, as are the monkeys.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Piglottie said...

I love your Monkeys, and the Duets yarn is gorgeous. I would like the Jane Brocket book. And yes, from experience, I know the doom of water and icing :) I add the teeny tiniest amount, mix, then add the teeny tiniest amount etc. The cupcakes still look delicious though!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Auntie Noo said...

Watch the sizing on the jaywalkers - I have size 5's and I haven't been able to make them work for me at all! Had a giggle at the icing story - but I would have been the same - I love baking but don't think i've ever iced anything.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Probably Jane said...

The stripes in the CTH work so well with the pattern.

I am very envious of the Duets yarn but I am trying to be restrained - what is the texture of the yarn like?

3:33 PM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Nice monkeys & ditto the comment about jaywalkers. They have very little 'give' in them -mine got frogged!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Lovely cakes, and lovely socks! It must be great knitting for small feet as it takes less time!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Love your Monkeys, I just finished a pair myself, and "snap", I have size 3 feet too!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

ee make more of those cupcakes and you'll soon end up the same size as me! I'll bet they were morish weren't they? I usually add the water to the icing sugar - safer that way - and the teeny tiniest amount. Have you tried lemon drizzle cake? that uses lemon, sugar and water that gets soaked up by the sponge just like the icing did on your little buns.
I love the yarnstorm blog - she has such a way with colour.

7:15 PM  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Well done with your stashalong!

Re the glace icing, it's a case of adding water gradually to the icing sugar, and it's still way too easy to add too much that way too! The cakes look yummy :-)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northumberland, United Kingdom

I live in northumberland with my husband and our two dogs, I love to knit and buy yarn!!

Powered by Blogger

Locations of visitors to this page
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount