Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Knitting normality.........regardless!

I'm making good progress on the cinnabar pullover. The back and front are now both done, and it hasn't taken that many knitting hours really! Its an enjoyable knit, simple, but the linen edging gives it a little bit of interest so I haven't been bored.


Close up of the linen stitch.

Its ironic how normality continues, irrespective of other things going on around you isn't it! Today was my first day back to work after my annual leave. The ward feels very sad at the moment, as one of the staff nurses, Val, who worked with us until last year, died on Friday after struggling for years with Breast cancer. The final stage of her illness was very quick, and this just wasn't the outcome anybody was expecting:-( I won't be going to the funeral which will be held on Thursday, I'll be working on the ward so that as many of the other staff as possible can go and say goodbye. I always find funerals very difficult. So I've been a little melancholy, and in a reflective mood. Since I qualified as a nurse 6 years ago, 4 nurses I have worked with have died, another two have been diagnosed with Cancer, and at present, one of my staff nurses is undergoing Chemotherapy for breast cancer:-( It certainly makes you realise that life is for living, because you never know when it will be snatched away:-(
Goodnight Val, God Bless xx

7 Comments:

Blogger florencemary said...

Oh, what a sad tale about your workmates. And I'm with you about avoiding funerals; my dad died when I was 9 and I wasn't told until a couple of weeks later, when he'd had a military funeral and been buried. I find the whole funeral thing rather phobic now.

Hey, but Cinnabar looks good, and I'm going to knit a linen stitch beret soon, so it's nice to see how it looks!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your colleague - very sad.

Cinnabar looks great. I love the dark colour but I am not sure if it is black or dark brown - or even aubergine - it's hard to tell on my monitor, but they are all equally lovely!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Piglottie said...

Oh hun, am thinking of you and sending hugs. I was thinking about you today as well, wondering how you were on your first day back. I am so sorry that you've had this awful news. It is a dreadful disease, but there are those lucky ones, like my mum, who survive but it still gets far too many.

Your Cinnabar is looking gorgeous. I've never heard of linen stitch before *blush* but it looks lovely.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I am so sorry to hear about Val. You have had a lot of sad times on the ward by the sounds of it. Big hug xxx

6:35 AM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

I'm sorry to hear about your colleague's passing. Lots of {{{hugs}}}

Cinnabar is lovely.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

I am sorry to hear about your former colleague Sarah. We hear such positive things about cancer these days, so when the outcome is not a positive one, it comes as more of a shock. (((hugs)))

2:04 PM  
Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Very sorry to hear about your colleague :-(

Cinnabar looks lovely, linen stitch is very pretty.

Best of luck in your race training, hope your shins are OK.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northumberland, United Kingdom

I live in northumberland with my husband and our two dogs, I love to knit and buy yarn!!

Powered by Blogger

Locations of visitors to this page
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount