Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sari silky


Jeanette, who I met on an internet gift exchange, told me how she was going to a talk on nepalese crafts at her womans guild meeting (I hope I got that right J??), the speaker had just returned from nepal and had some handicrafts that had returned with her! Apparently the talk was very interesting, and much to my delight, Jeanette informed me that some of her wares were winging there way to me!!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy:-)
This sari silk is very different to anything I've felt before! i bought some sari silk last year from an online shop, but then swapped it cos it was thick and stiff and horrid really, I didn't like at all *roll* But this little baby is soooo soft and silky, its quite finely spun too, so definately a more useable yarn!! I'm thinking a bag for the summer would look nice, maybe something quite lacey, with a material silk lining and some fairtrade handles???????

I cast on for the debbie bliss superchunky cabled jacket earlier in the week, I love how soft the cashmerino yarn is but its so heavy! I'll definately have to do this project a little at a time to save my poor wrists from prolonged acheing!!!! I think it might be my sisters christmas present cos I think the "one size" pattern will swamp me a little?! I know its early to think of christmas presents but I was so stressed last year leaving everything till last minute and not getting anything finished that I thought now was as good a time to start as any:-)
I've also been working on IVY, last christmas' pressie for my sister *roll*, I had been put off by lots of people saying the front shaping was a nightmare, but actually when I had a proper read through of the pattern, its not difficult at all, so I've been cracking on with that and hope to finish soonish!At least when I get it done, it should be the right kind of weather to wear it, cos its not a cold weather cardi made in the DB Cathay:-)
I was browsing the crafty threads forum yesterday and found this post by claire. I've been wanting to try colourwork for ages so I dashed to my stash, pulled out some rowan 4ply soft, and intended to cast on for the endpaper mitts but (for a change) my needles were in amongst an unfinished sock!!!!!!!!!! Januarys sock at that aswell *roll* So when I eventually get the socks off the needles, I shall be dipping my toe in the world of colour too:-)
I'm at a bit of a stalemate on februarys socks too I'm ashamed to admit!!! I've done the heel flap, but as the next bit requires me to actually work out how many stitches to work across to shape the heel, I've put it away and am waiting for inspiration to stike!!!! Its going to be yet another month where I fail to rise to the sockamonth challenge I fear:-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Noo said...

If the cardi is heavy, you could try knitting on circs (but knitting back and forward as usual) it helps as all the knitting sits in your lap rather than as a weight off the needles. I did that when I made Josephine, otherwise I think I'd have the muscles of Popeye!!!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Cathie said...

That sari silk is lovely, I made my mum a bag out of some a few years ago, it was dreadful to work with and smelt, It wasn't till a long while after I found out you should wash it before using.

Also agree with auntie noo re the circs, I do all my knitting on them now and find it so much easier, apart from when I realise after sitting with it for a few hours that I have joined it up!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Piglottie said...

I have some sari silk and am hopefully going to knit this with it http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTunbiased.html . Agree re; circs - it really helps with my wrists because the weight is held on your lap. Look forward to seeing your mittens progress as I love this pattern and want to do it one day, when I get brave enough to tackle Fair Isle.

1:43 PM  
Blogger belaybunny said...

the silk looks lovely, and I agree re using circs for the chunky jacket. It's a nice colour btw.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sari silk is stunning.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northumberland, United Kingdom

I live in northumberland with my husband and our two dogs, I love to knit and buy yarn!!

Powered by Blogger

Locations of visitors to this page
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount