Friday, January 26, 2007

Quilting Quest!!!!

I've always liked to make things, for as long as I can remember! Mum taught me to knit when I was really young, and dad used to show me how to make bits with wood, and levers and cams! When I came to choosing A levels, it seemed natural that I would study design technology, purely because I loved to be creative! When I look back, I think the reason for my doing this is good, but possibly the wrong choice, and I should have followed what I was taught by mum rather than Dad!!! if I had my time again, I would study textiles, without a doubt! But its very easy with hindsight isn't it!
When I sewed the Zip into KiKi's cardi last week, I thought to myself that perhaps I should actually learn to use my sewing machine! I like to knit things, would love to crochet, and would probably love to sew things too if I could actually do it! So learn, I thought to myself..............and now armed with a load of fabric squares and the readers digest guide to sewing, thats exactly what I'm going to do!!!!! My first project is going to be a quilt for KiKi, hence the fairies and dancers, and pink ( although admittedly, I would also love this theme for myself but not sure my husband will share the sentiment!) I think a quilt is a good place to start!!!! So dummies guide to quilting at the ready, and I'll be making a start soon:-)

This morning my postman delivered a package from my lovely knitting friend Jeanette, who I "met" as the result of a secret santa swap last year! She has made me a dishcloth, and its lovely!!! she also sent me a hat book which has some great berets in it, and also some stacking hats which my nieces would love:-) So I'm thinking a fairisle beret may be on the cards at sometime this year!

Now, do you remember when I said in my new year post that this year was going to be exciting for me?? I'm not going to reveal all just yet, but heres a little clue!!!!!


I'll give you a few more hints throughout next week;-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Noo said...

Wow look at all that lovely yarn! - and I love all the pinks and pretties in the quilt selection, can't wait to hear how you get on with that!! - and a lovely new background to your blog - how busy have you been?????

10:47 PM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Oh my word! Look at those delicious yarns! So, are you going into business, or are you knitting some sort of ginormous bed spread???

I love the quilting fabrics you've chosen. I've been thinking about sewing a lot recently too, although I'd like to make little toys and novelty stuff.

11:46 PM  
Blogger belaybunny said...

*faints* Look at all the fyberspates, are all your colleagues at work wanting socks??? What a nice selection of material for the quilt, where did you get that then, cos I really like it? ;)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Piglottie said...

The quilting sounds exciting and I shall watch your progress with interest as its something I've always wanted to do but never seem to get round to it. And how cute and girly is all that fabric? KiKi is going to love it.

The Fyberspates stuff is gorgeous. I have the purple and grey yarn and love it. Did you get any of the alpaca/nylon blend - so soft!?!

1:29 PM  
Blogger WildPurl said...

I wish I had studied textiles at school as well Terri, but I like to think that if I had I might not love doing it so much. I love to sew although hardly ever find time at the moment because of the knitting, I am a dressmaker and soft furnishings girl though, and have not tried quilting. I love to look at quilts though, one day I'll make some cushion covers I think. I'm looking forward to seeing your lovely pink girly quilt, maybe it will inspire me to get started.
I can't imagine what your surprise could be unless you are opening an online Fyberspates shop?!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Badger said...

Oh such pretty, pretty yarns! What are you up to?!

The quilting fabrics do look lovely. I can't sew to save my life and so am in awe of anyone who can :)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Slowasasnail said...

I did Textiles GSCE and A-level at school which I think is where my love of all things crafty came from. But you didn't get to study things in depth as much as I would like.

Can't wait to see your quilt.

9:31 AM  
Blogger gilraen said...

Can I come to your house Terri? :D

I remember quilting with my Mum, we had georgeous bedspreads all of our childhood that my Gran and Mum had made. I look forward to more pictures :)

Fyberspates??? Now what would one do with all that yarn? .........

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northumberland, United Kingdom

I live in northumberland with my husband and our two dogs, I love to knit and buy yarn!!

Powered by Blogger

Locations of visitors to this page
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount